Monday, July 12, 2010

Swallowtail butterfly chrysalis



Greetings from Omaha, Nebraska, zone 5a, where today (with permission) I rescued four small black swallowtail larvae from K-Mart after spotting them on a dying potted dill plant while on a trash can buying excursion for my parents. I relocated the larvae to dill growing in my garden. A gorgeous emerald chrysalis with gold highlights from an older swallowtail larva is located on the scape of this red tet seedling in my garden that will be a future registration.

Yesterday I rescued a monarch butterfly larva and placed it on a clump of swamp milkweed, where it is happily feeding. Last summer it was fun to see a monarch butterfly successfully emerge from its chrysalis. Nature is grand - and so are daylilies!

Mary Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment